Saturday 2 May 2009

Creative Struggle

First and foremost: Sorry, Krumbine. I promised you I'd be posting a snippet of a potential novel, but that just isn't going to happen. I went back and read over what I had feverishly scribbled down and noticed something very distinct about it. It's a huge piece of crap. 

Yes. My writing, for far too long now, has been just terrible. I can't write anything creatively as of late, and it's becoming a really painful struggle. I love writing. I love putting pen to paper and just seeing what happens. The problem lately is that when I write, while I'm writing, I think what I'm writing is genius, unheard of magnificence. A day later when I go back to re-read what I've written I come to the startling realization that what I wrote is horrible, terrible, should-never-see-the-light-of-day crap. 

The weird thing about this is that other parts of my creativity are flourishing. I love my paintings and drawings lately, which never ever happens. I've been getting video ideas [though I tend to either be too lazy, or not have the resources to produce said videos]. I feel creatively charged, but my writing is suffering. It's not as organic as it used to be, but everything that wasn't is now. 

Also, on a completely separate note entirely, I'm thinking of getting into freelance make-up artistry. I used to always want to be a makeup artist, but I never really pursued it. However, I am in desperate need of money and figured I might as well give it a try. The only problem is I need teh makeup products. Consequence of being poor is that I cannot afford them. Alas, thwarted again by the stupid economy. 

Right. So. How are you? 

3 comments:

Tom PM said...

What happened to phlebotomy?

Harberette said...

can't take the phlebotomy course until the fall [problems with student loan stuff. ugh] so I need stuff to do to make money over the summer.

jordancg said...

Not being able to write is a bitch. But maybe it's not writer's block. As much as I like this idea for Destructive Criticism, I haven't written but five lines in the past week for it. Am I stuck with it? A little, yes, but only because I need to, I dunno, find the flow again.

My point is that maybe it's not writer's block ... maybe it's just that you're not writing the right stuff.